In the Fall of 2021, Sea Crest launched its 海洋科学 program. 在这一年中, students examine ocean literacy concepts through the study of where we live: our own watershed, 海岸及海洋环境. These larger concepts include deep dives into what the ocean is like, 海洋是如何维持生物多样性的, 它是如何塑造地球的特征的, 它如何影响我们的天气和气候, 它是如何使地球适合居住的, 以及我们是如何与它千丝万缕相连的.
Ocean literacy is an understanding of the ocean’s influence on you—and your influence on the ocean. 一个懂海洋的人:
- Understands the essential principles and fundamental concepts about the ocean
- Makes informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources
Students are working, 探索, growing, and testing things in the lab. 该计划的一个重点是服务, providing an opportunity for us to come together as a school, 与更大的社区联系, and to have a real impact on the place where we live.
小学是一个充满奇迹的时代. In 海洋科学 these students are building their environmental curiosity, 探索, 建造和参观盐和淡水栖息地, while examining the life and features of these ecosystems. Students explore and help to care for the animals within our lab, while also learning about the other animals within our greater coastal ecosystem and in the ocean. They travel to local coastal ecosystems and work together to plan, 创建, and observe water 栖息地 in which they observe the life cycles of frogs and fish, and they watch and journal the changes in these animals bodies and behavior before students release them. Students also begin to learn about their connection to our local watershed, learning about and actively becoming earth heroes within their own schoolyard.
- How can we explore the world like environmental scientists?
- What water 栖息地 can be found in the world and what are their characteristics?
- 什么动物生活在水里? 它们如何在水栖环境中满足这些需求?
- What are the challenges of the rocky intertidal zone? How do plants and animals hold on/ hide and protect themselves and eat here?
- 什么是分水岭?? How do we impact our watershed and how can we help to make it better for all living things?
- How can we use what we are learning to help the earth and others?
Secondary school is a time of deeper learning about the many regions, 栖息地, 以及海洋的特点. Students are deep diving into the study of our watershed, our coast and our connection to it. Second graders are learning about the geology and biology of the sandy shore and our coastal prairie- taking part in local native plant restoration projects . 三年级学生探索我们的分水岭和湿地, 研究, tracking and caring for our local Arroyo Leon creek habitat, 以及我们当地的沿海湿地. Fourth graders begin their study of the basic physical characteristics of the ocean, and the different 栖息地- taking part in an in depth study of a chosen habitat, and sharing their learning with the Sea Crest community.
- What can we tell about the ocean and the land by examining the sand at the shore?
- How can we measure and track the health of a freshwater ecosystem?
- How can we use plants to improve our coastal environment?
- How do the bodies of these plants/animals help them move/feed /protect within this environment?
- How is the ocean different in different places- light/pressure /temp/ salinity?
- What are the defining characteristics of different marine 栖息地?
- 什么是分水岭? and how are we an important part of it?
在高中课程中, students are examining the relationship that the ocean has to the atmosphere, 生物圈, 水圈, 和岩石圈. 学生们考察他们如何做出明智的决定, evidence-based decisions about how they will respond individually and as a society to the complex issues surrounding the care of our ocean.
Students travel along our shores and within in the San Francisco Bay to examine the local wildlife and ocean characteristics. They interview and learn from ocean related professionals from our community, and take part in local coastal service projects- related to coastal restoration work, 海滩清理, 以及低年级学生的教育.
Students also travel and participate in overnight field experiences to learn about the ocean in a broader way. The 7th and 8th graders travel to Catalina Island with the Naturalists at Large 程序 to explore a large protected kelp forest environment - snorkeling and paddling alongside bright Girabaldis and a variety of other fish and rays. 五年级和六年级学生前往SEA实验室夏令营, an educational nonprofit organization located in Aptos, California dedicated to teaching Marine Biology in Northern California.
- How are animals of different phyla adapting to meet the needs of their niche in the ocean?
- How does carbon flow through the ocean, land, and atmosphere?
- How is the ocean currently being researched and protected?
- How do/can we influence our marine and coastal environment?
凯特·迪基是我们海洋科学学院院长. She holds a Master’s Degree in Experiential Education and has taught for 8 years. 最近, 她曾在海岸土地信托公司工作, developing and implementing environmental education and stewardship curriculum.